Sourdough Banana Bread Recipe
Sourdough banana bread is the perfect way to use your sourdough discard and over-ripened bananas! The addition of sour cream makes it so moist and tender. The sourdough discard gives it the tangy flavor we sourdough bakers crave. This simple recipe will quickly become your new favorite!
Servings: 12 slices
9" x 5" loaf pan
Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl mash the bananas with a fork until smooth and set aside.
Melt the butter in the microwave in a mixing bowl. Add the dark brown sugar and use a spatula to cream them together until smooth. Add the eggs, mashed banana, sourdough discard, sour cream and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
Add the wet and dry ingredients together and stir until just combined. (Do not over mix!) If adding walnuts, gently fold them into the batter with a spatula.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the banana bread to cool in the loaf pan for 15 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Use the scoop and level technique to measure your flour if you do not have a kitchen scale. To do this, use a spoon to fluff up the flour in the bag. Use a spoon to scoop the flour into a measuring cup until it is heaped on top. Take a butterknife and level off the top. This should give you the most accurate measurement for flour.
- Add ½ cup of chopped walnuts or chopped pecans if desired.
- In order to get the most sourdough flavor into this banana bread, the starter must be "aged". This simply means that the sourdough discard has been allowed to sit in the fridge for a minimum of one week before using it to bake with. This will allow the acid to build up, producing the sour flavor.
- Dark brown sugar can be replaced with either light brown sugar or white granulated sugar.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days, wrapped in plastic wrap or in a container with a lid.
- Store in freezer for up to 3 months tightly wrapped in foil and plastic.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 263mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 322IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg