Sourdough Banana Nut Muffins Recipe
A sourdough banana nut muffin recipe, chock full of nuts, ripe bananas and of course, sourdough discard! You'll love how tender and moist these muffins are with the addition of a little sour cream. Perfect to make ahead and freeze for busy mornings!
Servings: 12 slices
Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners, or lightly grease.
Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas until smooth.
Melt the butter in a mixing bowl and add the dark brown sugar. Use a spatula to cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, mashed banana, sour cream, sourdough discard and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with the spatula until just combined. (Do not over mix!) Gently fold in 2/3 cup of the chopped walnuts.
Divide the batter into the muffin tin and sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack.
- This recipe can be made without sourdough starter.
- In order to get the most sourdough flavor into this banana bread, the starter must be "aged". This simply means that the sourdough discard has been allowed to sit in the fridge for a minimum of one week before using it to bake with. This will allow the acid to build up, producing the sour flavor.
- Dark brown sugar can be replaced with either light brown sugar or white granulated sugar.
- Use the scoop and level technique to measure your flour if you do not have a kitchen scale. To do this, use a spoon to fluff up the flour in the bag. Use a spoon to scoop the flour into a measuring cup until it is heaped on top. Take a butterknife and level off the top. This should give you the most accurate measurement for flour.
- Store at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze individually wrapped in foil and placed in a freezer bag.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 278IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg