Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lb. dried red kidney beans boiled for 10 minutes before adding to slow cooker
- 1 lb. smoked sausage sliced
- 1 smoked ham shank
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons thyme
- 5 cups chicken broth or water
- 4 cups steamed white rice
Sort and rinse the beans to make sure there are no small stones. Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the red beans for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the beans and then place them into the slow cooker liner.
Add the remaining ingredients and give them a stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Give the beans a stir and serve over steamed white rice.
Keep leftovers refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen up to 6 months.
Kidney beans need to be boiled for 10 minutes before slow cooking to ensure that the PHA, which is a kidney bean lectin, is destroyed. This lectin is not destroyed in a slow cooker and has the potential to cause sickness.