Sourdough Pop Tarts Recipe
Servings: 4 pop tarts
- 1 cup + 1 teaspoon (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter cold
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 g) sourdough discard
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) white vinegar
- ½ cup strawberry jam see notes
- egg wash 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
To make the crust
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and salt. Grate the cold butter, using a cheese grater, into the flour mixture. Use a bench scraper or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour until it forms large crumbles.
Add the sourdough starter discard and vinegar to the mixture and use a fork to bring the dough together. Use your hands to bring the mixture into a cohesive ball and press into a rectangular shape. (Add a teaspoon of cold water if the mixture is too dry.)
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough and smooth the edges. Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least one hour. (Up to 24 hours)
Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll the dough into a rectangle, with a ⅛" thickness, on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 4 long strips. Brush the edges with the egg wash.
Add 2 tablespoons of filling to one side of each rectangle and fold the dough over itself. Use a fork to press and seal the edges. Brush the egg wash over the top of each pop tart.
Place the pop tarts onto the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer the baked pop tarts to a cooling rack.
Store the sourdough pop tarts in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the fridge for 6 days. Reheat in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 10 minutes.
To freeze baked, unglazed, sourdough pop tarts, let cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Frosted Strawberry - Use 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam per pop tart.
- Frosted Blueberry - Use 2 tablespoons of blueberry jam per pop tart.
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon - Mix ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ tablespoon flour in a bowl. Use 1-2 tablespoons for each pop tart.
- Nutella Pop tarts - Use 1-2 tablespoons of homemade Nutella per pop tart.
- Apple Butter - Use 2 tablespoons of homemade apple butter per pop tart.