Get ready for the most amazing baked herb chicken thighs you've ever tasted. The skin is thin and crispy and the meat is super tender and juicy.
The chicken thighs are slathered with a lemon garlic herb butter and baked right on top of sourdough bread cubes.
As the chicken cooks, the bread soaks up the juices to create homemade croutons for a delicious side salad!
Who doesn't love a one-pot meal? This is one of those dinners that is so easy to make and is extra delicious!
You're going to love using your sourdough bread to make the most incredible croutons to go alongside these juicy chicken thighs!
What you need
- boneless or bone-in chicken thighs
- sourdough bread (or any sturdy bread you have on hand)
- lemon zest
- salad greens
- green onions
- salad dressing: apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey, dijon, olive oil
- salt and pepper
You'll also need an oven-safe skillet. (affiliate link)
How to make it
Combine the lemon thyme herb butter ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Cut bread into 1 inch cubes and lay in a single layer on the bottom of oven safe skillet.
Rub the herb butter underneath the skin of the chicken thighs and any remaining on top of the skin. Arrange the chicken thighs on top of the bread.
Bake at 475°F (246°C) for 45-55 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meat registers at 165°F (74°C).
Transfer the chicken thighs to a serving platter. Use a wooden spoon to gently lift the bread cubes from the bottom of the skillet and toss around to evenly coat with the juices.
Toss the salad greens with vinaigrette and the bread cubes and serve alongside the lemon thyme chicken.
How to store it
Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More easy chicken dinner recipes
Baked Chicken Thighs with Warm Bread Salad
- ½ loaf sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs (bone-in or boneless)
Lemon Garlic Herb Butter
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 green onions (chopped)
Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F (246°C). Use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the bottom of your roasting pan. Slice sourdough bread into 1" cubes and spread them evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Combine the lemon thyme butter ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined. Loosen the skin of the chicken and rub the lemon thyme butter under the skin. Place the chicken pieces over the cubed sourdough bread.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F (74°C). Remove from the oven and place the chicken pieces on a serving platter to rest. Use a spatula to loosen the bread from the pan and toss in the juices.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to emulsify the oil and vinegar. Toss the dressing, bread cubes, green onions and arugula in a large mixing bowl. Serve on the side with the roasted chicken thighs.
did you make this recipe?