Neapolitan style pizza sauce is a fresh tasting, no cook pizza sauce recipe that requires 2 ingredients. Italian San Marzano tomatoes and salt.
Pair it with our sourdough pizza crust to experience the amazing flavor of a brick oven pizza straight from Italy!
If you enjoy our sourdough pizza crust, you're going to love this Neapolitan style pizza sauce. There's no cooking involved and it takes less than 10 minutes to make.
Neapolitan style pizza sauce ingredients are simple and allow the flavor of your toppings to shine!
- San Marzano tomatoes: Look for whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes in a 28 oz. can. Some cans will come with basil so make sure to check the label. Plum tomatoes are a good substitute.
- Salt: Salt is totally optional if you need to moderate salt intake. Salt brings out the flavor of tomatoes but a little goes a long way. Start out with ½ teaspoon and taste before adding more.
How to make Neapolitan style pizza sauce
This pizza sauce couldn't be easier to make so let's dive straight into the details!
Step 1: Place a mesh strainer over a large bowl. Pour a 28 oz. can of whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes into the strainer and use your hands to crush the tomatoes.
Squeeze the tomatoes to remove as much moisture as possible, allowing the juices to collect into the bowl beneath the strainer.
(The juice extracted from the tomatoes can be saved and used for other recipes such as soup.)
Step 2: Transfer the pulp to a tall glass container and stir in the salt. Use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes until they are at the desired consistency. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
Make sure to head on over to our sourdough pizza crust recipe if you haven't already. Top it with this sauce for a pizza that will knock your socks off!
DIY pantry staples you can make from scratch
Some things are just better made from scratch. Try out one of these DIY pantry staples recipes and see for yourself!
- homemade butter
- all-purpose cashew cream sauce (amazing drizzled over pizza!)
- strawberry jam
- homemade nutella
- apple butter
Neapolitan Style Pizza Sauce
- 28 oz. peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place a mesh strainer over a large bowl. Pour the contents of the can into the strainer. Use your hands to crush the tomatoes, allowing the juice to collect in the bowl beneath.
- Transfer the tomato pulp to a glass jar, add the salt and stir. Use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes to the desired consistency. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
- Cover the jar and store the pizza sauce in the fridge for up to 7 days.
We refer to this sauce as a Neapolitan "style" pizza sauce because it is a light and fresh tasting pizza sauce and do not want to confuse anyone searching for a more American "style" pizza sauce which is heavier and contains many different herbs and spices.