This is hands down the best sourdough graham cracker recipe! These graham crackers have the perfect balance between chewiness and crunch, creating the perfect vessel for a heavenly indoor s'mores experience.
You'll find yourself craving these delightful treats all year round, no campfire required!
What could be better than a beautifully toasted marshmallow with a golden-brown crust, delicately sandwiched between two of our delectable homemade sourdough graham crackers?
And let's not forget the ooey-gooey goodness of melted milk chocolate, adding the perfect touch to this classic favorite!
These sourdough graham crackers offer a delightful twist with their tangy sourdough flavor, complemented by a subtle blend of cinnamon and sweetness.
These graham crackers can also be enjoyed as a snack, added to your favorite ice cream, or crushed up to make sourdough graham cracker crust for cheesecake.
So, whether you're planning a cozy night by the fire or simply looking for a scrumptious snack, our Sourdough Graham Crackers for S'mores are the ultimate must-try!
Ingredients needed to make sourdough graham crackers
- sourdough starter discard
- brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- whole wheat flour
- cinnamon (optional)
- baking soda
For the s'mores
- milk chocolate bars
How to make sourdough graham crackers
Step 1: Make the batter
In a mixing bowl, use a spatula to blend the butter and brown sugar until it reaches a creamy consistency. Incorporate the honey and sourdough discard, stirring until a smooth mixture is achieved.
In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt using a whisk. Transfer the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir thoroughly with a spatula until combined.
If needed, use your hands to bring the dough together, but avoid the temptation to add additional liquid to the mixture.
Place a cover over the bowl and move it to the refrigerator to allow it to chill for one hour.
NOTE: If you desire a more extended fermentation process, you can keep the dough refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Step 2: Roll out and cut the dough
Once you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350°F ( 176°C).
Begin by dividing the dough in half. Take one portion and position it between two sheets of parchment paper, then roll it out to a thickness of ⅛".
Peel off the top piece of parchment paper, and transfer the bottom piece, along with the rolled dough, onto a baking sheet.
Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to slice the dough into 2" squares or rectangles, discarding any uneven edges but setting them aside to re-roll with other leftover dough. Use a fork to puncture holes in the dough.
Next, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes, allowing the dough to firm up.
Repeat with the remaining dough and store the sheets stacked in the fridge until ready to bake them.
Step 3: Bake
Bake the crackers for 15-17 minutes or until they turn a golden brown hue. Once ready, take the baking sheet out of the oven and allow the cookies to rest on it for 10 minutes.
Afterward, transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
How to make indoor s'mores
These homemade sourdough graham crackers have a slight chewiness that makes them an ideal choice for holding marshmallows and chocolate, creating a delicious s'mores treat.
The best part is that the s'mores are oven-baked, allowing you to enjoy them throughout the year. Let me show you just how quick and effortless they are to make!
- Position the oven rack on the top level and activate the broiler function in your oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay out a single layer of graham crackers on it. On each graham cracker, place a piece of chocolate and a marshmallow.
- Slide the baking sheet under the broiler for just 30 seconds, making sure to remove it promptly to prevent the marshmallows from burning.
- Take another sourdough graham cracker and press it on top of each assembled s'more.
Serve these easy treats while the chocolate and marshmallows are still melted and gooey!
Do you like this recipe? Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter and we'll send you the latest and greatest!
Sourdough Graham Crackers for S'mores
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ⅓ cup (70 g) brown sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ cup (118.29 g) sourdough discard
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a small bowl, use a spatula to cream the butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add the honey and sourdough discard and stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and stir with a spatula until combined. If needed, use your hands to bring the dough together, but avoid the temptation to add additional liquid to the mixture.
- Cover the bowl and transfer to the fridge to chill for one hour. For a long-ferment, keep the dough in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F ( 176°C). Divide the dough in half. Place one half between two pieces of parchment paper and roll to ⅛" thickness. Peel the top piece off and transfer the bottom piece along with the dough to a baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into 2" squares or rectangles. Remove the ragged edges and save them to re-roll with any other scraps. Use a fork to poke holes in the dough. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the dough to firm up. (Repeat with the remaining dough and store the sheets stacked in the fridge until ready to bake them.)
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown in color. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and all the cookies to remain on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack.
How to make Indoor S'mores
- Put the oven rack on the top level and turn on the broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put graham crackers on the baking sheet. Top each graham cracker with a piece of chocolate and a marshmallow.
- Broil for 30 seconds, then take them out quickly to avoid burning the marshmallows. Put another graham cracker on top of each s'more and press down. Serve immediately.