This greek cauliflower rice is a low carb version of greek rice pilaf. It's bursting with Mediterranean flavor which makes it delicious paired with greek chicken kabobs and tzatziki sauce.
The riced cauliflower is seasoned with garlic, lemon, oregano and spices for a flavorful side dish. It makes the perfect side dish for a light, healthy dinner.
Low carb recipes are even easier now that most grocery stores carry riced cauliflower in the produce and frozen sections. That means that cauliflower rice recipes can be made quickly without the extra equipment, aka food processor, to clean!
Plain cauliflower is bland and boring, but, when you add Mediterranean spices and herbs, this versatile vegetable is amazingly delicious.
Some people want to know if cauliflower rice is better for you than rice. The answer depends on who you ask. One is not necessarily better than the other unless you have a food sensitivity. I say if you want a lower calorie option, then opt for cauliflower rice.
- Cauliflower: If you can't find riced cauliflower in your grocery store, there's no need to worry. The rice can be made with a head of cauliflower and a food processor. Check out this tutorial for instructions.
- Olive oil: You'll need an oil to prevent the rice from sticking to your pan. Olive oil will give you the most authentic greek flavor but feel free to sub with any cooking oil you prefer.
- Garlic: Mince the garlic finely with a knife or use a garlic press. Fresh garlic provides the best flavor however garlic powder can be used.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice adds acidity and helps to balance the seasonings.
- Spices: Salt, pepper and onion powder help to elevate the flavor.
- Herbs: Fresh or dried oregano and parsley.
How to make the best greek cauliflower rice
Let's go over the basic steps on how to make greek cauliflower rice from scratch and then we'll share some tips for making it the best you've ever had!
Make sure to have the frozen cauliflower rice thawed when you start OR cook it in the microwave according to package directions to thaw it.
Brown the cauliflower rice. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the riced cauliflower and cook until it starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the seasonings and herbs. Add the minced garlic, the oregano, parsley, onion powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Taste for salt and pepper. Make sure the seasonings are good and serve!
Tips for success
Cooking cauliflower rice is totally different than regular white rice. Here are a few tips and tricks to help make it the best it can be!
- Cook the cauliflower for 10 minutes to get a little browning on it before adding any other ingredients. Doing this reduces the moisture and gives the cauliflower rice a firmer texture. This is why the end result is a brown color instead of the white color of traditional greek rice pilaf.
- I love using a garlic press when adding fresh garlic to savory dishes. The small pieces really help to get all of the garlic flavor distributed into the rice. If you don't have one, I promise it will quickly become one of your favorite kitchen tools!
- We use dried herbs because we always have them on hand in the pantry. Fresh herbs work great too.
- Serve the cauliflower rice right away. It cools off pretty quickly but can be reheated in the pan if needed. It's amazing paired with Greek marinated chicken.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Greek Cauliflower Rice
- 10 oz. bag of frozen riced cauliflower (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Thaw the cauliflower rice by cooking in the microwave according to package directions. (Typically this is about 3-5 minutes in the bag.)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the riced cauliflower and cook until it starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic, oregano, parsley, onion powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
did you make this recipe?