Super juicy, tender chicken kabobs made with the best greek chicken marinade ever. Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, fresh garlic and seasonings.
So delicious! Cook them on the grill or in the oven, whichever you prefer!
You are going to absolutely love these greek chicken kabobs. Every bite is like a big flavor bomb! They are easy to make and such a healthy chicken recipe.
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can bake the kabobs in the oven or grill them, so you can enjoy them any time of the year.
Serve with a side of tzatziki sauce as an appetizer or pair it with seasoned Mediterranean greek cauliflower rice for a delicious low carb dinner idea.
Talk about the perfect recipe for summer entertaining. This dish can be assembled ahead of time and transported easily to a bbq, potluck or party.
What you'll need for the marinade
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Greek yogurt: Make sure to grab plain greek yogurt. You can sub regular yogurt but the marinade will be thin.
- Olive oil: Olive oil will give you the most authentic greek flavor.
- Fresh garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic, use powdered garlic instead.
- Lemon: You'll use the zest of one lemon and the juice of three.
- Spices: Dried oregano, coriander, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Greek chicken kabobs in 4 easy steps
Step 1: Mix the marinade ingredients together in a mixing bowl until fully combined.
Step 2: Toss the chicken pieces in the marinade, cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
Step 4: Place the chicken pieces onto skewers. Add vegetables like bell pepper, zucchini and onion if desired. Cut them into 1 inch pieces.
Step 5: To bake, start the skewers on the stovetop in order to brown the chicken. Transfer them to the oven and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F. If grilling, preheat the grill to a medium-high heat. Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning halfway through.
Tips for making the best greek chicken kabobs
- Allow wooden skewers to soak in a bowl of water for 20 minutes before threading the chicken pieces onto them. The moisture will prevent them from burning.
- Metal skewers are great because you can assemble the kabobs and then let them marinate. Metal skewers get really hot while the chicken is cooking so it's best to use silicone pot holders or a long handled pair of tongs to handle them.
- If you are baking the kabobs, use a grill pan so you can easily start the cooking process on the stovetop and then transfer the grill pan straight to the oven. If you don't have a grill pan, brown the skewers in a skillet and then transfer them to a baking sheet before finishing them in the oven.
- Need to save time? Marinate the chicken ahead of time and keep refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- You'll know that the chicken is cooked all the way when the juices run clear and the internal temperature of the meat is at least 165°F.
How to store and reheat
Leftovers can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 9 months. To reheat the skewers, wrap them in foil and bake at 400°F until they are heated through.
These kabobs go great with greek pasta salad and tzatziki sauce for a fresh and tangy summertime dinner! If you're looking for more summer side dish recipes, check out our low carb creamy coleslaw and low carb broccoli salad. Both pair well with grilled meat.
Greek Chicken Kabobs
Greek Marinade Ingredients
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 3 lemons zest of 1 and juice of all 3
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 red onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a mixing bowl until fully combined. Toss the chicken pieces in the marinade, cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers adding bell pepper, zucchini and onion slices between every two pieces of chicken if desired.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Preheat a greased grill pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Brown the kabobs on all four sides, about 2 minutes each. Transfer the grill pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat is 165°F.
- Preheat the grill to a medium-high heat. Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning halfway through. The chicken is cooked when the internal temperature of the meat is 165°F.