These slow cooker calico beans are loaded with sweet and smoky flavor and get rave reviews from everyone that tries them!
Beef, bacon and three types of beans are slow cooked so that the flavors meld together perfectly. This is a great meal for parties, potlucks and BBQs!
One of the things we love about slow cooker calico beans is that just like our classic pot roast, slow cooker chili or white beans and ham, this a one pot meal. If you are looking for a crock-pot meal that you can set and forget, this is it.
Brown the ground beef and bacon and then throw everything in your slow cooker. A few hours later dinner is ready!
Serve with a side of stoneground skillet cornbread or sourdough dinner rolls for a real treat.
What you need
This dish is referred to as calico beans because of the different colors of beans used. Feel free to use any type of beans you prefer!
- ground beef (affiliate link)
- light brown sugar
- yellow mustard
- kidney beans
- baked beans
- northern beans
DO NOT drain the liquid from the canned beans. You will add the entire can, beans and liquid, to the slow cooker.
See recipe card for quantities.
You'll also need a 7 quart slow cooker.(affiliate link)
How to make it
Brown the ground beef and bacon in a skillet on the stovetop and drain any excess fat. Transfer to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours. Once the time is up, give the calico beans a stir and serve.
How to store it
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Calico beans can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
More easy dinner recipes
- slow cooker red beans and rice
- instant pot chicken tacos
- white chicken chili verde (slow cooker or instant pot)
- instant pot beef stew
- slow cooker turkey breast
Slow Cooker Calico Beans
- 1 lb. bacon (chopped)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans (do not drain)
- 2 15 oz. cans great northern beans (do not drain)
- 1 15 oz. can baked beans (do not drain)
- Brown the bacon and ground beef in a skillet on the stovetop. Drain any excess fat and transfer them to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on LOW for 2 hours. Stir and serve.
did you make this recipe?