Slow cooker turkey breast is the easiest way to cook a turkey breast. It only takes a few minutes to get it going in the crock-pot and the result is the most tender and juicy turkey breast you'll ever eat!
Let the slow cooker do all the work and free up valuable oven space during busy holiday gatherings!
Are you looking for a great holiday recipe that you can "set and forget"? When you cook turkey breast in the slow cooker, you are able to do just that!
This is one of the easiest recipes for turkey breast without brining you'll find. You won't have to worry about dry turkey meat because the garlic herb butter along with the juices from the turkey will keep the meat tender and moist.
A slow cooker boneless turkey breast is perfect for a party of up to 8 people and it goes great with all of your holiday side dishes like sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, scalloped potatoes, green chili corn casserole and bread stuffing with sausage. If you have leftovers, use them to make a big pot of turkey gumbo.
If you love using a crock-pot for the holidays check out our easy slow cooker ham with brown sugar and honey glaze. And don't forget pecan pie and pumpkin pie for dessert!
What you need
- 3-4 lb. Boneless Turkey Breast
- fresh herbs
- garlic powder
- For the Gravy - butter, flour, chicken broth and the drippings from the turkey breast are used to make the gravy. Some turkey breasts come with a gravy packet that can be used instead of the homemade gravy.
Here are a few ways to modify this recipe if needed.
- Boneless Turkey Breast - A bone-in turkey breast can be used but it will take a little longer to cook. Adjust time to make sure breast is cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
- Fresh Herbs - Feel free to use dried herbs and reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon each.
You will need a 6-8 quart, oval shaped slow cooker. Having a digital meat thermometer is helpful with this recipe but not absolutely necessary. (affiliate links)
How to make it
It's so easy, here's how to do it!
- Mix the garlic herb butter ingredients and rub it over the entire surface of the turkey breast. Make sure to get it under the skin!
- Place the turkey breast into the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or until the internal temperature is 165°F (74°C).
- Transfer the turkey breast to a serving platter.
- Make the turkey gravy and serve!
TIP: Would you like your turkey breast to have a browned, crispy skin? Simply transfer the turkey breast to a baking sheet and place it under an oven broiler for a few minutes after it's finished cooking in the slow cooker.
How to make turkey gravy from drippings
- Pour the drippings from the slow cooker through a mesh strainer into a large measuring cup. Add chicken broth to the drippings until there is 2 cups of liquid.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the flour. Whisk until they are smooth.
- Add ½ cup of the drippings to the skillet, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Add the remaining liquid and whisk over medium-high heat until the gravy has thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
How to store it
Leftover turkey can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
More easy recipes to make in the slow cooker
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- 4 lb. turkey breast (boneless or bone-in, thawed)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (minced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- turkey drippings from slow cooker
- chicken broth or water (up to 2 cups)
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Rub the herb butter onto the turkey breast, between the skin and meat.
- Place the turkey breast into the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours. The turkey breast is done when the internal temperature is at least 165°F.
- Transfer the turkey breast to a serving platter and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Pour the drippings from the slow cooker through a strainer into a large measuring cup. Add water to the drippings until there is 2 cups of liquid in the measuring cup.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high and stir in 4 tablespoons of flour. Add the drippings and keep stirring over medium-high heat until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
did you make this recipe?